Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Warm-up and Stretch

I've learned that it is very important to stretch before and after workouts. Before to reduce the risk of pulling a muscle and for better range of motion, and after to help reduce soreness.  For a while, I thought that stretching should be done even before a warm-up.  I'm sure it can be done before, but this is what I've heard from quite a bit if personal trainers and fitness professionals.

It is recommended to warm-up your muscles before you stretch or else your muscles will be like a cold rubber band.  If you stretch a cold rubber band it could more easily snap or break apart.  This makes sense to me.  So don't forget to warm up before you stretch.


Here are a couple of stretches from my last workout.


The Table Top stretch is a bit tough to get into , but if you get it your shoulders will thank you for doing it. Your figures can point towards your feet or away from your feet. The goal here is to get your pelvis up making a table with your body.

The Scorpion stretch is an awesome lower back stretch. Lie on the floor belly first and spread you arms out to make a "T" with your body. Now lift only your right leg straight up and bend your right knee while tilting it over to your left side. Try to keep both shoulders and your chin on the ground. Lower your right leg and then repeat with your left leg. 



Rumble Rolling (Foam Rolling)  Use your own body weight to massage and stretch your muscles, tendons, and break down muscle adhesions and scar tissue.  I use the rollers on my back, shoulders, and my legs the most.  You can roll just about any muscle you have though.  The idea is to relax your muscles and let the foam roller sink in.  It helps to start with little pressure at first and then add more with your weight or your other leg when doing your lower body.  I try not to hold my breath so i am more relaxed. 
P90X2 Rumble Roller



P90X2 Rumble Roller


Get started now.  Get your FREE FITNESS ASSESSMENT HERE.

Related Workout Links:









No comments:

Post a Comment